Stopping No-Poo (No Shampoo) -Disadvantages of not shampooing

Hi everyone,
I've posted before about not shampooing - the no poo diet/lifestyle. 
And its been quite a while since I have shampooed, until today. 
So, why?
Before I begin, I want to mention that I have psoriasis, and maybe dermatitis on my scalp, and please take that into consideration :)

-Oil control. Even though I hadn't washed my hair with shampoo for over a 2 months, I still had oil issues. There was still a lot of oil being generated, and I couldn't go out with out hair being tied up. It was such a nusance. And even after 3 months, my hair was still kind of oily. It's predicted that most hair will becoming less oily as time goes by, and I have to agree. My hair was less oily after the 3 month mark, in comparison to the first two weeks. But I really just wanted a day where I could wear my hair out.

-Smell. You don't get a huge smell if you wash your hair with bicarb or other DIY shampoo things. But when I transferred from that to cold turkey, no poo/nothing on the hair ever, after the first month, my mum warned me about a slight scent coming off. I had to avoid washing my hair often (too much water on the scalp is a no-no for dermatitis), but I think it is just a personal thing with scent, and I might just produce a lot of scent on my scalp. But it is still something to consider.

-Didn't work for MY scalp. I still have the same symptoms, with the same severity (or maybe even worse), without shampooing. It was annoying because I felt that I was putting in a lot of work for my scalp. I was using medication, I was only able to have one hair style (bun), and it was sooooo tiring. I actually found that I still have a lot of these sebum oil bead things coming off, and that was exactly like when I did use shampoo. Just didn't work.

-Sensitivity. Not shampooing made my scalp pretty sensitive. I didn't like tying it up (though I had to), and I had these skin headaches. Not helpful....

There are obviously heaps of benefits from not washing my hair with shampoo. It was really cheap. I mean, seriously. And it was fun to experiment with it. I actually recommend it, even though it didn't work for me, because I know it'll work for others.
But instead, I'm going to try a new shampoo, which is Roskin Coal Tar Shampoo. I'll report back in about 2 weeks, with an opinion on hows that is going. From that, I'll see whether I want to try out new things, or maybe even just go back to not shampooing. 
Never the less, I hope those who are thinking about not shampooing have seen the 'bad' sides to no poo (though I think it really just differs between people).
Best of luck!
My first shampoo day. OMG. So soft. NO OIL :)
-Y

No comments:

Post a Comment