Makeup for Hayfever

Hi Gals!
It's spring season (in Australia), and my allergies are really getting to my senses. The whole face itching, the skin peeling, the eyeballs wanting to just tear up every second. I REALLY HATE HAYFEVER.
But never the less, I still want to look good over my itchy mess of a face/body.
An attitude I have towards makeup when I have hayfever, is to avoid using anything that is too ‘flashy’ or will capture one’s attention. It’s not because I don’t want people to like me, or notice me, but it’s just that a lot of makeup can result in close up looking, and hence close up looking at my dry scaly skin. I stick with heaps of lotion in skin care, and mainly use powders in makeup. It’s purely due to creams or liquids in makeup really accentuate dry patches, and powders just sit on top, and fill in the unevenness.
So, here are some products that I really am loving:



A good lipstick/stain (I made this myself. Formulation pretty much suits my lips, but still reformulating…). I recommend using lipsticks which mention ‘shine’ or anything to do with moisture. My favourite at the moment is probably Clinque’s lipsticks (soooooo perfect as it just runs over the dry chapped lips you can get).



Mineral Powder – I’m enjoying Mary Kay products at the moment, and this mineral powder foundation is something I save for the hayfever season (no kid, I don’t use this baby any time else), because it’s quite sheer, and doesn’t grip onto dry patches. I like the no-makeup feel, and how it leaves the skin slightly dewy. Using this in a patting motion generally gives a bit better coverage, and I mainly focus of uneven colour areas. Also, mineral products generally irritate my skin less that creams YAY.


PawPaw cream has been a mini god send as I’ve been running out of heavy duty lip balms. This stuff is generally in my makeup kit, and I barely use it, but after spending the last two weeks with it, it’s been used more than 4 times a day. Sweep this across the lips, under the eyes and scratches helps the skin around it heal, and feels really good. 




Cream bases such as these from either bhcosmetics or Fraulein or Coastal Scents, which are advertised as concealers are perfect to use all around the face. This dark brown acts as a cream eyeliner (I don’t like gel very much as I find it usually irritating to the eye), and I just set it with this sheer black eyeshadow from an unknown brand palette. The lighter skin colour acts as my concealer under the eye and red patches between my eyebrows and chin. I don’t usually use this palette as it is intended for – concealer, but the thick formulation is perfect to conceal skin texture. Because it is so thick, it just sits on the skin instead of sinking in like my typical concealers. Also, it sets quickly and stays without straying until the end of the day, which is perfect as I rub my eyes all the time, and I need something that sets and will stay set for a long time.

 Light shimmery pigments from Revlon’s Soft on the Eyes – Whisper Sweet Neutrals palette are perfect for the inner corner and bottom lash line. I find these really great as the pigments don’t ever seem to ‘scratch’ my eyes, and I barely feel them. They are very sheer, and I think really perfect for when you are trying to avoid catching attention with your makeup. They brighten up the eyes, take a bit away the redness from itchy eyes, and don’t transfer – especially when you are itchy or rubbing your eyes!
As you can see, I avoid mascara and blush. This is because mascara is way too irriating for my eyes to handle, and rubs off usually pretty easy if I rub my eyes. And I’ve already got a pretty natural blush from my red cheeks, so not point of covering it up and putting on something which looks the same on top :) 


Best of luck with your makeup for the season!
x
yz



No comments:

Post a Comment