Why I Stopped Using Coconut Oil as a Moisturiser

Any beauty blogger would pointed you to a few different types of oils to use as a moisturiser. Olive. Argon. Rosehip. Jojoba. Coconut.
And as a typical poor person who can't be bothered buying hundreds of dollars in skincare lines which offer the same effects as supposedly, these oils do, I went and bought some coconut oil for my skin, and tried to use it as a moisturiser for about a few months.

Background - skin is very dry and sensitive, and eczema prone. yuck.

So, I began with using it as my all over body moisturiser, and then slowly moved only onto my face as i realised it didn't give me a rash - so it'll be fine on the face, and it was just a tad too oily for my body. After a few weeks, I realised that my skin was appearing even more dry than it had previously, and that seemed really bizarre. I was literally applying oil to my skin, and my skin was either so dehydrated that the teaspoon of oil a day wasn't enough, or something was going on which made my skin the most dry it has even been.

I was searching online, asking my doctor, and trying to figure out what the heck was wrong with my skin. So, I tried a little experiment, where I would wear QV skin lotion (a pretty basic and sensitive skin moisturiser) for one week, then use coconut oil for one week, then go back to the QV lotion, then use Mary Kay's Oil Free Serum (it's one of the most moisturing serums, but just doesn't have oil haha) for one week. Here are the results:

First week:
-moisturised
-not oily
Second week:
-really dry
-patchy 
Third week:
-moisturised
-not oily
Fourth week:
-moisturised
-not oily

Ok, it is was absolutely the oil's problem with my skin.

What I realised was that oil was actually just not hydrating enough. My theory (obviously not scientific), but my philosophy as always been moisturise, then protect. Coconut oil doesn't protect the skin, in fact, it sort of even makes it more vulnerable. A lot of people use coconut to tan with, and if it's easier to tan with, than it's more vulnerable - more cells in the skin are being distorted etc. 

I'm sure I could mix the oil with petroleum jelly (ergh, that oily feeling though), but I've decided that I'm going to stick with water base moisturisers from now on, and just stop trying to use DIY moisturisers. I heard rose hip oil works, but then again, that was from an oily faced girl. 

Feeling super depleted now.
xx
YZ


No comments:

Post a Comment